It's Harvest Time! When all the fresh colors and green are gone, nature leaves us with beautiful oranges, browns and dark greens. Here in the Okanagan, we often complain about the transition to fall as we miss our hot weather, for what it's worth, it's still a gorgeous time of year and the foods available are still plentiful, simple and tasty. That means zucchini and yams are in season, two of my favourite veggies that are easy to prep and super versatile in casseroles, soups or simply on their own with some beautiful dressing or oils.
Here's a super simple casserole that you can keep "veggies only" for a vegan option or add cheese for a stringy super meal that even kids would love! Find your local veggies from happy farmers whenever you can.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 medium yams
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspooon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheeese (optional)
- Slice zucchini, tomatoes, yams and onion 3mm thick. (You can use a mandolin for better size consistency.)
- In a bowl, toss zucchini, tomatoes and yams with 1 tablespoon olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper until evenly coated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan and saute onion until transluscent (5-7 minutes).
- Grease a 12x9 inch pan with oil or line with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Once onions are finished cooking, spread evenly to the bottom of the pan.
- Start assembling the pan with sliced zucchini, tomato and yam slices, alternating each vegetable.
- Sprinkle evenly with parmesan if you choose. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test yam to see if it's cooked, it may need more time depening on the thickness.
- Remove from oven and add mozzarella (optional), bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!