Most banana breads are LOADED with sugar. If I'm gonna do baking, I want it to be healthy enough that I can grab it for a quick breakfast.
I want my banana bread to be healthy and sweet - but not overly sweet. The sweetness from the fruit helps a lot, then that way it doesn't need a whole lotta' sugar added.
Fruit is a whole food. It's natural. It comes from nature. That means its good for you. This is my favourite healthy banana bread recipe, and trust me - once you try this one, you'll never need another recipe for it. It's fantastic.
It's a great snack for work or school for the kids, and a great quick breakfast with some whole yogurt on the side.
Ripe bananas, mashed (4) — or just defrosted from the freezer
Grass-fed (if you can!) Butter (1/4 cup)
Maple syrup or honey (1/4 cup)
Free-range egg (1)
Vanilla, preferably organic (1 tsp)
Baking soda (1 tsp)
Pinch of sea salt
Sprouted (organic whole wheat or white flour) (1 1/2 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter on low heat in a saucepan. You also substitute coconut oil for half of the butter.
3. Take the ripe bananas out of the freezer and let them defrost for an hour or so. Then peel and place in a bowl.
(If you are not using frozen bananas, just mash them a bit. Chunks are okay!)
4. Mix the butter in with the bananas, then beat in the egg.
5. Add the vanilla, maple syrup, baking soda, and sea salt.
6. Finally, mix in the sprouted flour. You don’t need a mixer for this, you can just use a wooden spoon.
7. Butter a loaf pan and spoon the banana bread mixture in.
8. Bake for about an hour.
9. Remove from oven. Let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Pro Insight: Serve with butter! Then, cut, wrap and store for snacks all week! Why not double the recipe for some extra yum, or to share with a friend? Preparation is key to successfully eating well.