Playing with Vegilante’s Tempeh led to an amazing discovery. Tempeh is not your typical meat replacement. It’s DELICIOUS! It’s a beautiful fermented food (you know how much we love ferments around here.) Adding tempeh (if your vegan or testing the waters on plant-based diets) to your list of regular meals is a great idea because it’s one of the best proteins available for non-meat-eaters. Our friends at Vegilante Tempeh make a very special tempeh that is dairy-free, vegan and gluten-free. That's a lot of labels, but sometimes we have to do specific, therapeutic diets based on what our body needs. And sometimes we still want a meaty-feeling but healthy addition to our diet, especially if we are eating vegan or playing with plant-based.
Here is a recipe for tempeh wraps that are not only delicious but also incredibly filling! Make a big batch of tzatziki for your wraps and eat it for days later as a dip with veggies or whole grain crackers.
Tempeh, Tzatziki and Veggie Wraps
INGREDIENTS - Tzatziki
1/2 of a large cucumber, unpeeled
1 1/2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
Grate the cucumber and drain through a fine mesh sieve overnight in the fridge.
Combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Transfer the grated cucumber and fresh dill to the yogurt mixture and stir to combine.
INGREDIENTS - NAAN (Makes 6 Naan Breads)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt
4 tbsp ghee or melted butter
1 .Heat the ghee or butter in a small saucepan until melted.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and onion seeds.
3. Make a well and add 3/4 cup lukewarm water, yogurt and melted butter
4. Draw in the flour and mix gently with a wooden spoon to combine. Mix for 5 minutes until it forms a rough dough.
5. Let dough sit in bowl, cover and keep warm for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 475. Place 2 baking sheets in the oven. Knock the dough in the bowl down, remove it from the bowl, knead it onto floured surface until smooth. Divide into 4 equal pieces.
7. Roll each piece into 10 inch loaves, transfer bread to pre-heated sheets and cook for 30-40 seconds on each side or until they brown and blister.
Cool while you prepare your tempeh:
Cooking the Tempeh:
Slice and follow the cooking directions on the package.
Once the naan has cooled, add chopped veggies, tempeh and your tzatziki sauce to the bread wraps.