You read that right. This is the recipe for the best salad in the whole world! It's not an exaggeration.
I mean literally, the best salad in the world.
Testimonials for this salad at potlucks include:
"You NAILED it!"
"This is the BEST salad I've ever had!"
"I love all the different textures and it sounds so easy to make!"
Yes, and those kinds of words can be ringing in YOUR ears too from your happy guests and potluck hosts, now that you have this awesome recipe.
When I had 9 female roommates as a student in Kitsilano, (you read that one right too!) we liked to entertain.
Beaches + barbeques.
Backyard tanning, yoga classes + potlucks.
Indoor parties + dancing.
But as most of us were travellers or students, we couldn't spend loads of money on foods for our big BBQ parties!
While Brie and crackers were a staple for the European girls, "the Newfie" made the most affordable and delicious salad.. it really became quite the hit. It stuck with me and after all these years, it was SO easy and REALLY impressed people! I'm sharing this little secret with you so you can share it with all your friends too! I usually double or triple the recipe because it gets eaten up so quick!
It keeps well in the fridge for a few days too.
Great for a busy summer week.
Simple Couscous Salad
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime/lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 chopped green onions (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained, 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Cook couscous according to directions. Let stand for 5 minutes covered. Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks. Add to salad bowl and toss in chopped green onions, red pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, chickpeas and beans and toss to coat in the oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Need it faster? Sometimes we would make it even easier with just couscous, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro and the lemon & oil dressing.
You can use parsley or any other green if you don't like cilantro.
Unfortunately, some people do NOT like cilantro. So if you fall into that camp don't shy away from this incredible and quick salad, just replace it with something else or skip it all together. The great thing about cooking is that you can always play around with ingredients.
As with all salads creativity is king (and strangeness, too) depending on what you have in the fridge and how much your imagination limits you ..... when it comes to salads (and nutrition and life) feel free to add more, spice it up, be bold based on what you have got at that moment!
Yum! Easy! Enjoy!