The more you know, the crazier you look. After all, it may look crazy to an observer, some of the choices that Holistic Nutritionists' make. But that's us. We can't change it!
All craziness aside, I’m happier than ever. I've been obsessed with (read: studying) the sounds of the 60's for over a decade, and when I studied nutrition my whole life became about drenched with alternative ways, deeper than food. I approached my transition to a natural lifestyle with a hungry spirit.... and I'm still enjoying the journey and growth!
Changing your diet is about taking responsibility but its also about having fun, striving for balance and of course paying tribute to those before us who paved the way for the 'alternative' life style as well as the natural foods movement. After all, the NY Times thinks that "The Hippies Have Won" and who am I to argue? All that's new is old again.
Here's how far my journey has come, and tons of links with education to inspire you as well!
- I remove toxic chlorine and fluoride from my tap water (for drinking and cooking) with a Berkey Filter.
- I increased my stomach acid and stopped my stomach pain through holistic nutrition, mindful eating and discovering my food allergies
- I use unrefined sea salt instead of processed, mineral-stripped salt
- I eat raw fermented foods daily, like kombucha, sauerkraut, miso, dilly pickles and raw cheeses.
- I don't drink milk anymore.
- I use a stool (like Squatty Potty's!) for a happier colon.
- We use ghee, coconut oil and good old butter for cooking fats/oils.
- There is always fresh fruit on my kitchen counter. It never goes bad.
- I drink lemon, cucumber and raspberry water (it's sexy!)
- I don't have white flour in the house anymore. Coconut flour or oat flour work great!
- I love not paying attention to calories (at ALL!)
- I stay far away from canola oil. Here's why.
- I sprinkle flax seeds, hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds on my food. Some people call this 'bird food' ...... we call it 'food.'
- We eat farm fresh eggs for a nutrient boost. The whole egg, yolks and all.
- I drink green tea a lot. A LOT.
- My fridge is 60% fermented foods (it's the nature of the beast), 30% fresh vegetables and 10% natural foods like miso paste, coconut milk and occasionally a homemade salad dressing.
- I use unrefined salt and know that it is not bad for me to do so.
- I love to eat my veggies, just like momma always said!
- I could survive solely on brown rice, veggies and beans (as long as it comes with the above amazing salad dressing of course!)
- If I feel a cold coming on I use natural tinctures, eat raw garlic and fresh fruit to fend it off!
- I finish my dinners with a healthy digestive-focused tea like peppermint, chamomile/lavender, or herbal blend.
- I don't drink (or need) coffee
- I could live on beans, brown rice and veggies. Oh, and a little nutritional yeast dressing never hurt either.
- I use a washable pad for period time to prevent waste (love the earth!)
- I only wash my face in the evening, as washing it in the morning wipes off the natural oils our skin provides for us (just my eyes and mouth get cleaned!)
- I buy my friends' natural tooth care.
- I use lavender balm on sore spots instead of antibacterial creams.
- I occasionally use coconut oil + water to soak my tired feet & wrap them in socks
- I let my hair do it's own thing!
- I try to dry brush before showering.
- I shave with soap instead of expensive shaving creams (and believe that women have the right to shave wherever they want or not!)
- I add epsom salts for magnesium into my baths when I can't get into the float tank.
- I’ve switched to non-toxic makeup for when I want to play dress up (here is my go-to in the Okanagan)
- I don’t use synthetic perfume, I use essential oils instead. Here's why.
- I don't use deodorant anymore, and purchase natural deodorant that is non-toxic. Here's why.
- I wash my hair with natural castille soap 3x a week. No conditioner needed as natural oils form to keep my scalp healthy.
- I wake up naturally or use a gentle alarm to wake up rested, instead of panicked from a noisy alarm.
- I do at least 10-15 minutes of yoga each morning.
- I do at least 8 minutes of meditation each morning.
- I walk barefoot outside in the summer as much as I can.
- I choose beautiful art, tapestry, records, books and colors in my wardrobe and home to improve my mood and relax my nervous system. (Relaxation = better digestion.)
- I use mymonthlycycles to chart my cycles and symptoms.
- I use f.lux on my computer to balance melatonin levels with light.
- We keep our cell phones out of our bedroom to cut down on electronics.
- I’ve stocked my medicine cabinet and kitchen cupboards with beautiful organic natural remedies.
- I use a salt lamp and healthy plants to improve air quality in my home.
- I use a ball desk (like this one!) to work my core and improve space in my torso (better functioning digestion) while I'm working.
- I make trips to the Farmers' Market a part of my week spring through fall.
- I’m in the habit of batch cooking healthy meals for the week.
- I facilitate a women's circle (the 'new' womens' networking group!) for conscious female entrepreneurs who want to support each other in a real way.
- I love travel and adventure, no matter how small.
- I'm obsessed with the sounds of the 60's, and spend better parts of my day listening to rock n' roll, blues and psychedelic guitars to relax me. What music makes you happiest?
I'm all about nodding to the past. The hippies' before us were also turning their noses from the mainstream. Everything in the 1960's was messy, idealistic and full of anything-can-happen feelings. Our journey can be that same way. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's a perfectly bumpy road and a special, natural evolution.
Eating whole foods is an alternative to the mainstream way of eating - processed foods void of nutrients. Take your power back by making these healthier choices - and watch your whole life change.
Are you also on a crunchy-hippie journey? What have you accomplished and what works for you? What are you loving about your evolution? Share your thoughts!